Dash cams are of two types. One which is cheap from the brand which is not trusted and that has limited quality features of which you haven’t heard of. In this article, we will discuss the Garmin Dash Cam 55 review.
And the others that are highly-priced, branded quality, heavy bodies with touch screen and many more features added to them.
Garmin Dash Cam 55 Review
Garmins Dash-Cam 55 is a smartly designed dash-cam that has all the essential features placing it between these two categories. Recently, it has been replaced with Garmin 66W Read along to know why are we still reviewing Garmin 55 Dash-Cam?
Design of Garmin Dash Cam 55
Garmin Dash-Cam 55 is like a match-box with the lens of 1.5cm in size that attaches to your windshield making it a hidden-witness with premium quality securing you from ligation of the pedestrians and drivers or can capture any event that happens on the way that can be viral and make you famous. This tiny-little dash-cam also has a feature that alerts you when the red light turns green.
It also has a nice mounting mechanism with a metal disc of about 20p of a size that sticks with 3Madhersive to your windshield. This then gets easily connected to the mounting arm magnetically attached to the camera itself with a ball and socket joint, that allows adjusting the camera easily. However vast is your windshield, this dash-cam can be perfectly positioned to get a crystal view of that’s ahead.
Features Of Garmin Dash Cam 55
Garmin Dash cam 55 is a uniquely packed bundle of dash-cam stuffed with all the standout prime qualities and features in it. Turns on the ignition and all these features of this miniatured dash-cam are immediately activated. Some features are even active after the ignition is turned off. Here is a list of them.
- G-Sensor and Loop Recording: This feature is the most common of all the dash-cam and so to Garmin Dash-cam 55. once it detects a collision with its accelerometer, it locks the footage of before, during and after the impact into the MicroSD card. Also, there is a manual way o saving a recording at any time by press one of the four buttons on the dash-cam.
- Travelapse: They call it Travelapse, it’s the unique feature only to Garmin that is timelapse (commonly said by us) feature that enables us to record a long beautiful journey into a short-summarised video that can be shared amongst the community.
- Voice Control: This very interactive dash-cam enables when the user gives the voice commands like “hey Garmin” displaying all the possible options on the screen. We can start or stop recording or travelapse, take a photo and save them through voice commands.
- Built-in GPS: It not like the ordinary dash-cam built-in GPS feature. This GPS feature adds data to the recordings, along with the speed, direction of the destination, and the time and date is a piece of perfect evidence to your records.
- Alert feature: It alerts and warns the driver by predicting forward collision, lane departure and also indicates when the traffic starts moving off and you’re not paying attention to it. They also give speed cameras and red signal ahead warnings to the driver with a little extra cost.
We can switch on and off some of these features according to the conveniences of our driving.
Capturing Quality Of Garmin Dash Cam 55
It has quality to capture and record in 1440p resolution at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, 1080p at 30fps and with high dynamic range and 720p at 30fps. We can record audio along with the videos which are an optional setting. It performs well in a low light situation making it a perfect day and night partner of your journey.
According to the feedbacks of the customer, we recommend keeping the resolution a 1440p for detailed image quality, although it might require a little extra investment into a large memory card.
It is one of the best for having a perfect image under the exposure. Some dash-cam though have all features right, fails to get proper images under sunlight exposure, but dash-cam stands out in this too.
App and Interface Of Garmin Dash-Cam 55
Here we have a little sneaky-peak of what’s into the app or software of this dash-cam.
The Garmin Virb smartphone app is quite limited in its features, that enables us to only download and browse images and videos, we can not have a live preview that can help in positioning the camera.
The screen has four buttons on the right that serves as an exit, up, down and enter. The screen is bright we naked eye but shows a rainbowed pattern if one wears polarized sunglasses. Also, there is no HDMI output to connect the screen.
So the Garmin 55 is superior in its quality and feature to any other product in the same price range. This tiny-little das-cam is simple, secure and less obtrusive with all the cleverness required with easy to use and install benefits.
The capturing ability of this dash-cam whether it be day or night is just perfect to be as a shred of evidence to any unfortunate situation or a viral content of something you come across while heading home.
The features which need to improve are menu system, smartphone app and the visibility of the screen under the polarized lens and there is an updated version Garmin 66W, but this didn’t stop us from giving a long review to Garmin Dash Cam 55 as its the new king to all the other products.
Let us know in the comment below how helpful did you find our review. This can motivate us to write many more reviews in the future. Also, which feature made you mesmerizing about the Garmin Dash Cam 55 review?